Re: TR: [sciclub] Scilab news

From: Laurent Jacques
Subject: Re: TR: [sciclub] Scilab news
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:15:00 +0100

On Friday 28 November 2003 21:36, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Also, do you know whether there has ever been any effort to stop the
> development or distribution of Scilab?  I know that about 13 years
> ago, Cleve posted a message to sci.math.num-analysis requesting that
> people stop distributing "classic MATLAB" and recommending the current
> MathWorks product.  If you are interested, the message ID is
> address@hidden; I was surprised to find that Google has it
> since I didn't realize their archive went back that far.

That's very funny to read that.
I like the part:
<snip>
I believe the MathWorks versions are preferable scientifically, educationally,
and, in the long run, economically.
</snip>

We run Octave but also Matlab in my lab (in a Belgian university) and this
year we had to add just one user to our Matlab network licence. Mathworks
refused to sell this separately but instead we had to buy a complete new
Matlab distribution (the same that we had) with a special new license file
allowing the new number of simultaneous users.
All that costs around 800 $ !

But we have to be happy, for industrial use it is worst.

Laurent.