Octave Limits

From: Daryl Warkentin
Subject: Octave Limits
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:47:40 -0600

Hi all,

First of all I am new to this list and just want to say thank you to all
of the people who put so much hard work into octave. It's great.

Now the questions.

I am attempting to write some test data to a file and have bumped into
the 2GB file size limit. Is there a really good reason why this limit
exists other than maybe no one has gotten around to updating the code?
If it is the code thing maybe I can help.

Secondly, when I write values to a file they seem to take up way too
much space and they can't be read properly. Below is an example script
that shows what I mean.

octave:1> datafile=fopen('./datafile.dat', 'w+', 'native');
octave:2> a = [0.1:0.1:1];
octave:3> fwrite(datafile, a, 'double', 'native');
octave:4> b=fread(datafile, length(a), 'double', 0, 'native');
octave:5> b
b = [](0x1)
octave:6> fclose(datafile);
octave:7> version
ans = 2.1.51

The file datafile.dat is 1180 bytes in length. I would have expected it
to be 8bytes * the length of 'a' = 80bytes. Also, fread didn't seem to
read back anything.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

--
Daryl Warkentin, P. Eng.
Hardware Engineering