Re: run Octave from Excel

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: run Octave from Excel
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:50:49 -0800

There may be a prettier way to do this, but unfortunatelymost of my Octave on
windoes experiences have told me that things usually end up ugly when trying
to interface native Windows and Octave/Cygwin.

What I would probably do is create a .bat file which would look somewhat like
the .bat which starts octave, but instead have it call octave and your .m
file that you are trying to run.  after you have created your .bat file you
can create a .pif to that .bat.  Right click on the .pif and goto properties
and tell it to run minimized.  Then you will not see the octave window
either!!

I have never looked at the latest and greatest 'Octave for Window' package,
but in the original package that I did a few years back, I could not just run
'C:\Program Files\GNU Octave\bin\octave-2.1.42-p2atlas.exe' like you are
trying to call.  That is the reason that the Octave screen just flashed by.
Octave for Windows is based on a Unix API layer called Cygwin.  Without it
Octave can not run, and I think that is what is happening to you.  That
window probably says something about 'Can not find Cygwin.dll'  Go and look
at what exactly you launch when you click on the Octave Icon.  I bet that it
is either a .pif or a .bat.  A few env vars have to be set and so forth.  Use
that .bat as a model for the one that you write and call from Excel.

Hope this helps,

Tom Weichmann