RE: What linux distro is recommended

From: THOMAS Paul Richard
Subject: RE: What linux distro is recommended
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:38:03 +0100

As a bear of little brain, I chose to go with Red Hat 9.  This has Octave
bundled in.  A slight wrinkle for the unwitting concerns the conversion of
the downloaded .iso files into something bootable. I use Nero as my CD
burning software under Windows.  Do not be fooled into using the CD-ROM(ISO)
menu; this just stuffs the image of an ISO CD as a file on and ISO CD, if
you see what I mean. Use CD copy.  Nero seems intent on using only files of
type .nrg for this purpose.  Much to my surprise, renaming the .iso
downloads to .nrg's resulted in bootable CDs.  The install procedure is
completely bomb-proof.  My only real difficulty was with an Alcatel ADSL
modem.  Downloadable drivers exist but why, oh why, do the authors assume
that the end users are system experts? The "how to do" for simple minded
folk like me could have been written with half the length of what was
provided!  ABove all, what is wrong with EXAMPLES?

To begin with, I used a boot CD for the Linux and left the Windows XP
totally alone.  However, as Linux took over, this became inconvenient and
Grub was installed.  This lives completely happily with the XP and I have
had no problems with either.  I should remark that I carved out a VFAT
partition from the top end of the NTFS drive, so that I would have a
Windows/Linux swap space.

The bundled Octave runs just fine and I have compiled and used various .oct
add-ons with no trouble whatever.  I have loaded up the Intel Fortran
compiler and this works great, in spite of mine being an AMD cpu..... It is
blisteringly fast ( the two codes that I have got up and running so far
execute about two and a half times more quickly than using the DEC/Compaq
compiler) but is furiously defensive of the Fortran 90 standard.....

In short, I am pleased with the Red Hat 9 Linux and, of the others, to
paraphrase the Guinness advert, "I don't like them because I have never
tried them".

Paul