Re: octave on server

From: Tom Weichmann
Subject: Re: octave on server
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:41:53 -0700

This has already been done in both CGI PERL as well as PHP.

Check the Octave Archives in the summer of 2000 (I do not remember exactly
when I did this) for some ideas of what has already been done.

Basically, I created a chroot environment and build a completely separate
version of octave (and everything it needs) inside of it.  I used a program
called sbox to make the cgi run inside of this chroot env.  I also filtered
commands like system(), but what you will find is that there will always be
someone who can figure out or come up with some way to execute something.
This is why you HAVE to use a chroot env.  This way even if someone can trash
your install of octave, your server is not damaged.

I will try to find the code that I wrote.  I did this as part of a research
grant for the SUNY College at Buffalo Research Foundation 3 years, 2
computers and several Linux Installs ago.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.  It has been quite some time
though.

Good Luck,

Tom Weichmann