Re: num2str() question

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: num2str() question
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:39:01 -0500

On 25-Sep-2003, Steven Levine <address@hidden> wrote:

| In <address@hidden>, on 09/25/03
|    at 08:15 PM, "John B. Thoo" <address@hidden> said:
|
| >Why doesn't num2str() return 10000 instead of 1e+04 in the last
| >instance?  And how do I make it return 10000?
|
| The Octave online help is your friend:
|
|  - Function File:  num2str (X)
|      Convert a number to a string.  These functions are not very
|      flexible, but are provided for compatibility with MATLAB.  For
|      better control over the results, use `sprintf' (*note Formatted
|      Output::.).
|
| Since it's a function file, you can look at the code, which in my version
| of Octave says:
|
|  retval = sprintf ("%g", x);
|
| so whatever controls the %g formatting controls the num2str formatting.
| There's probably a global variable to control the cutover from fixed point
| to exponential format.  I don't recall it offhand, so I'll leave it to you
| to find it in the help.

The current version allows

 - Function File:  int2str (N)
 - Function File:  num2str (X, PRECISION)
 - Function File:  num2str (X, FORMAT)
     Convert a number to a string.  These functions are not very
     flexible, but are provided for compatibility with MATLAB.  For
     better control over the results, use `sprintf' (*note Formatted
     Output::).

so you can write

  num2str (x, "%f")

or whatever.  The PRECISION argument is the number of digits shown
after the decimal point in the %g format, not the value at which %g
automatically switches from %f to %e style formatting.

jwe