Re: Debugging Tools?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Debugging Tools?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:34:09 +0200

Yes, I've noticed that gdb can't give a back trace if a seg-fault occurs
in an octave module. The only way I know around this at the moment is to
statically link all of the modules you use into the octave binary itself.
This is ugly, and I consider a last resort.

I've also seen that valgrind can identify the function where the seg fault
occurs, even within oct-files. The down-side is the extremely long run
times when using valgrind. So if the seg-fault happens rapidly, you can
use this to find approximately where the seg-fault happens, then track it
down with cout/printf.

So, as you see I don't really have "the solution (TM)", and if you find
a better way than the two I suggest, I hope you'll tell me.

D.

According to address@hidden <address@hidden> (on 09/17/03):
> I have been working on several programs that use a combination of .m and .oct
> files - the majority of the work being done in the
> .oct files.  Do any tools exist that would help me to debug my code?  I have
> frequently run into seg. fault problems, and tracking
> down these errors through cout/printf statements has been quite time
> consuming.  Any other debugging methods or available
> tools would be greatly appreciated.
> My work has been done using Octave version 2.1.49 (i686-pc-cygwin).
> If the debugging method includes involved use of cygwin/unix, I would
> appreciate a more detailed description as
> my unix skills are quite lacking.
> Thanks!
>
> -David Tsou

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary