Unusual slowness with octave 2.1.42 for windows

From: Steven D Ratts
Subject: Unusual slowness with octave 2.1.42 for windows
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:18:22 -0700

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed both the atlas and non-atlas versions of
octave 2.1.42 for windows and installed them on various machines.  They all
seem to install normally without any hiccups, and they all run.  All but
one of them run quickly, too, however the one I have on my laptop (a
Pentium III 850 Mhz with 256kb or RAM) launches exceedingly slowly.  It
locks up the mouse for periods of time wile launching, too.  The command
line responds normally, until you try to execute a file or get a directory,
etc., then it locks up for a while just like while booting.  It will
eventually return and the results appear to be normal, but the lockups make
the system almost complete unusable.  I've tried both the atlas and
non-atlas versions on this laptop and they all do the same thing, so I
suspect the problem is not related to that.

Is there anything that might possibly be in my environment or configuration
that could result in such extraordinary slowness?  No other machine I've
installed the windows version of octave on has behaved like this one, but
this is the one I've got for my desktop machine in my office, so I'd really
like it to run normally.  BTW, this laptop is running Windows 98, if that
matters.

Thanks,
Steve

Steven D Ratts
520.794.3692 Desk
520.794.5815 FAX
520.489.8916 Pager
address@hidden

Here is some system information the laptop supplies about itself:

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using Full CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\INSTALL.TMP\CABS
c:\install.tmp\$unique$.inf /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR  /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 5.50.4807.2300
Uptime: 0:00:34:10
Normal mode
On "ZTUAA748288" as "vaj6579"
CSC
GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
256MB RAM
73% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1518MB free)
Available space on drive C: 1518MB of 9998MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive F: 60164MB of 76316MB (NTFS)

Created from Windows 98SE Standard Client Revision Date:  00-07-21
Developed by Desktop Applications and Catalog Services
for the Compaq Armada M700.
Image Revision Information: RARM700.GHO  07/21/2000
Added Intel Speed Step Applet SP15089, ATI Rage Video Driver
SP13192, Compaq Modem Driver SP12942, & RegKey to fix My Docs dir
path: RARM700A.GHO 10/05/2000
Added Client32v3.30, RegKey for long dir, HP4550\8150 printer files,
Compaq p1210\910\710 monitor icm\inf files: RARM700B.GHO 11/15/00
Replaced lwput32.dll & cmlwp32.dll files: RARM700C.GHO 11/29/00
Added DirectX8, SP15138 ATI Rage Video Driver, SP14846 Multibay,
SP15475 SysEnhan, updated Tnsnames.ora, & added TEK750 print files:
RARM700D.GHO 01/30/01
Added HP4100 print files: RARM700E.GHO 02/27/01