No functions will load. Octave starts with an Error.

From: Michael Gower
Subject: No functions will load. Octave starts with an Error.
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:30:00 -0800

Hello all and thanks for reading! I would take more time to introduce myself but I have a HW due that needs octave and need help quick.

When I boot up octave I get:
error: `findstr' undefined near line 10 column 12
error: evaluating index expression near line 10, column 12
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 10, column 39
error: near line 10 of file `/usr/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc'

I think I may have messed up my LOADPATH but I reset it to default (":") and no functions will load at all. It has to be a configuration problem. I'm running win2000.

Thank you!
Michael, Open-Source Newbie