Re: can't find libaries in /lib

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: can't find libaries in /lib
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:32:15 -0600

> I had the same problem  as the one posted by Jason Rennie,  see the copy
> of his message below. The libraries asked by Configure
> have been installed, still I get these errors. Could anyone give the
> golden hint to solve this?

It's a FAQ:
-- to /use/ a library foo, you install a package libfoo.
-- to /compile/ against library foo, you need to install the matching
   header package libfoo-dev (or maybe libfoo-devel)

Dirk

> Thanks
> Ko van Huissteden
>

> Hello,
>
> I just tried to configure the current development version of octave
> (2.1.43).  Configure barfed
>
> checking for tputs in -lncurses... no
> checking for tputs in -lcurses... no
> checking for tputs in -ltermcap... no
> checking for tputs in -lterminfo... no
> checking for tputs in -ltermlib... no
> configure: WARNING: I couldn't find -ltermcap, -lterminfo, -lncurses,
> -lcurses,
or -ltermlib!
> checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
> configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
> configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline
>
> even though
>
> address@hidden octave-2.1.43]$ ls -l /lib/libtermcap*
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jun 22  2001 /lib/libtermcap.so.2
> ->
libtermcap.so.2.0.8
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        10500 Feb  3  2000
> /lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8
> address@hidden octave-2.1.43]$ ls -l /lib/libreadline*
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Sep  9 09:26 /lib/libreadline.so.4
> ->
libreadline.so.4.2
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       146320 Feb  5  2002
> /lib/libreadline.so.4.2
>
> and
>
> address@hidden octave-2.1.43]$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/home/ai2/jrennie/usr/linux/lib:/home/ai2/jrennie/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

> any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jason

According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.