RE: Windows installation

From: Julian DeMarchi
Subject: RE: Windows installation
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:56:41 -0500

: -----Original Message-----
: From: Agustin Barto [mailto:address@hidden
: Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 11:09 AM
: To: Julian DeMarchi
: Cc: address@hidden
:
: I could upgrade to 2.1.39 but I can't rebuild the patched cygwin.dll.
: This is fine for my local users but I don't know how many people is
: using ofw and cygwin. I guess I'll include the warnings from the older
: package.
:
: Agustin
:

Dear Agustin,

I actually am able to easily track statistics with the wonderful tools
at http://matlinks.sf.net.  Although they are not broken down by file or
web page, they do provide fair macroscopic estimates.

This may come as a surprise to many, but there are roughly 5000 page
views per month at matlinks.net, and roughly 4000-6000 downloads.
These downloads are either all for Octave/Windows or Matlinks Toolchest.

Agustin: Recently, since I mirrored your new, WORKING, Windows download
(and I am sure many in our community will joimn me in praising you for
your wonderful efforts here), both page views and downloads have increased
roughly 10-20%.  I believe there is a direct correlation.  Translated into
rough numbers, this probably means that now something like 2000-3000
individuals are using your version of Octave for Windows mirrored at
Matlinks.  And these do not even include downloads from your website.

In summary, please don't underestimate the number of people using
Octave on the Windows operating system.  There is a very real, clear,
and sustained demand for Octave support on Microsoft Windows.  By all
means, let this popularity help convince you to keep on going!

- Julian / MatLinks