Re: NaNs in ascii

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: NaNs in ascii
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:29:58 -0600

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:11:32PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> Sorry to offend you.  This is what it does on GNU Octave, version 2.1.36
> (powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0):

Strictly speaking this is still a version behind, but as 2.1.37 is fairly
fresh we can't really expect everyone to be quite there yet.

That said, my Debian packages are available on eight different platforms
(alpha hppa ia64 i386 mips powerpc sparc s390) and only one installation
command away.

> octave:1> x=[NaN]
> octave:2> save -ascii xfile.txt x
> warning: save: Inf or NaN values may not be reloadable
> warning: near line 2, column 1:

> And it won't reload.  So this problem isn't specific to the version, it's
> more about the OS or libraries, I guess.

Looks like you guessed badly -- it is fixed in 2.1.37. The warnings
persists, but we may overlook that:

address@hidden:~> octave2.1
GNU Octave, version 2.1.37 (i386-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type warranty'.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.  For more
information, please visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

octave2.1:1> x=[NaN];
octave2.1:2> save -ascii xfile.txt x
warning: save: Inf or NaN values may not be reloadable
octave2.1:3> save  xfile.bin x
warning: save: Inf or NaN values may not be reloadable
octave2.1:4> clear
octave2.1:5> x
error: x' undefined near line 5 column 1
octave2.1:5> load xfile.bin; x
x = NaN
octave2.1:6> clear
octave2.1:7> load xfile.txt; x
x = NaN

So it would appear that it works with both binary and ascii files.

Might be worth your while to upgrade. As some of the GNU R guys say:
"Comes with a money-back guarantee"

Dirk

--
The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology
look respectable.                    -- John Kenneth Galbraith