Re: Problem installing Octave on Mac OS 10.2

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Problem installing Octave on Mac OS 10.2
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:58:31 +0200

Andri,
how did you install g77? I installed it via fink and did have a similar problem and got around it by setting FLIBS explicitly before running configure (see below from discussion on fink list). In your case you'd probably want just '-L/usr/lib/gcc/darwin -lg2c' or possibly just -lg2c (no need to specify -lm on OS X, but it doesn't hurt either). I don't know what is causing this, it could be a problem with g77 configuration(???).

BTW, if you are using the CVS version of octave, you'll need to work around a (known and reported) bug (sigh...) in Apple's gcc by commenting out every instance of '#pragma interface'.... or alternatively try using -fno-rtti when compiling (it won't get you all the way though:-( )
There are a few more quirks, but a lot less than there used to be:-)

HTH,
Per

From other list:
----------------
checking for Fortran 77 libraries...  -lcrt1.o -lcrtbegin.o
-L/sw/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-apple-darwin6.0/3.1
-L/sw/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-apple-darwin6.0/3.1/../../.. -lm -lfrtbegin
-lg2c -lSystem
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... unknown
configure: error: Linking to Fortran libraries from C fails.

I never did like the list of libs that configure (autoconf?) found to
be necessary for g77 and explicitly stating FLIBS to be "-L/sw/lib/
-lg2c"
makes configure behave as expected. Don't know if compiling octave will
pass though (yet). I have no idea as to how the previous list was
(automagically) obtained. Seems like a bug somewhere, possibly g77
configuration?!?.