Re: problems compiling 2.1.36 on solaris 8 with gcc-3.2

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: problems compiling 2.1.36 on solaris 8 with gcc-3.2
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:46:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, John W. Eaton wrote:
>
> > So perhaps it is a line length limit in the Sun sed and not a problem
> > with the gcc preprocessor?  Or were you using GNU sed when you noticed
> > the problem?
>
> Ah, the step I had completely overlooked. I was indeed using stock sed
> on Solaris 8, and switching to GNU sed eliminated that problem. Both
> daspk.df and resulting builtins.cc are created correctly.

It's really quite amazing, isn't it?  Solaris sed drops ends of long lines
without warnings (GNU sed does not drop them).  Solaris fmt deletes
anything but regular ASCII characers (GNU sed does not delete them).  Try
fmt on these three lines of characters:

¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ­ ® ¯ ° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ · ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿ À Á Â Ã Ä Å
Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê
ë ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

Solaris fmt *deletes* all of them!!  Compare Solaris sort to GNU sort in a
speed test -- GNU sort is much faster.

I use Solaris every day.  It is very annoying to me that they can't fix
it.  The free GNU programs are better than the ones we buy with Solaris!

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor