so far so good | but..file I/O

From: Evan Cooch
Subject: so far so good | but..file I/O
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:18:03 -0500

Well, thanks to people's kind answers to my question about porting from MATLAB cell array to Octave's LIST, 95% of the m-files have been successfully ported to Octave (at least, the m-files that have no graphics...).

However, one minor thing - I'm currently running the Windoze binary of Octave (pause for people to gnash their teeth), and am have problems figuring out how to modify various search paths, and (as important) how to specify where files are saved. Since students will be using the software, I'd like them to be able to save files to a student directory. Call it student. So

save -asciii /windows/desktop/student

or some such (although this doesn't work - it gives me an error saying that writing to that directory isn't allowed. All saves get dumped into teh main Octave root directory).

I RTFM as far as I could (the HTML version of same), and didn't see any obvious pointers to modifying how aspects of file I/O are handled - only the basic commands.

Thanks!

 Evan Cooch                          e.mail: address@hidden
 Department of Natural Resources     voice: 607-255-1368
 Fernow Hall - Cornell University    FAX: 607-255-8837
 Ithaca, NY    14853                 http://canuck.dnr.cornell.edu
Students today can't prepare bark to calculate their problems. They depend upon their slates which are more expensive. What will they do when their slate is dropped and it breaks? They will be unable to write! -Teachers Conference, 1703