Re: mkoctfile on an AIX platform?

From: A. Danial
Subject: Re: mkoctfile on an AIX platform?
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 20:48:13 -0800

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:50:11PM +0000, Steven R Goncalo wrote:
> I am trying to port Octave to an IBM machine running AIX 4.3 .
> I can get the program to compile and link as a static image,
> but I can't get it to build using shared object files. I have several
> functions I want to add as a .oct file, and mkoctfile requires the
> shared object version.
[...]
> Has anyone succeeded in building a dynamic linked version of
> Octave on AIX and/or used the mkoctfile command on that
> platform?

As far as I can tell, AIX + mkoctfile = headache.  Like you I tried
several versions of gcc, ld, and played with the octave makefiles
to try to get this to work, all in vain.  I posted a request to
this list in May 2001
(http://www.octave.org/mailing-lists/help-octave/2001/622) but
no one seems to have a fix.

I was desparate enough to resort to rebuilding octave with my
functions statically built in.  Here are the steps I followed
to do that: http://www.octave.org/mailing-lists/help-octave/2001/723

I'm all ears if you figure out how to get mkoctfile to work on
AIX.          -- Al