Re: Removing elements from structures

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Removing elements from structures
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:16:28 -0600

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 04:20:57PM -0300, Roberto Hernandez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking through the documentation, but can't find how to
> remove an element from a structure.
>
> Suppose I define the following:
>
> a.name = "Bob"
> a.lastname = "Hope"
> a.phone = "555-5555"
>
> I tried clear(a.phone), but that doesn't remove the element.

If memory servers, you cannot.  Write yourself a little wrapper which copies
everything but the element you want to remove in a temp structure, remove
the original, copy the them into the original name and remove the temp one.

Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question
than a precise answer to the wrong question. -- John Tukey