Bitlevel manipulation

From: Burmz
Subject: Bitlevel manipulation
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 23:23:08 +1000

Hi People,

I'm a newbie to Octave. I have had a little experience with matlab but
not a great deal. I am currently working on a project that involves
being able to read in a bit-stream, modify that bit-stream and then
save the new stream.

Now the save bit isn't to bad, but I need to be able to perform
bit-level manipulation, which means that I need to be able to read in
the stream as bits, rather than integers or chars. The fread function
in matlab does have this ability, but it appears taht it doesn't exist
in octave in the same format. Is there a function that allows me to
read in the file so that I can view individual bits? Or are there
functions taht allow me to access an integer array at the bit-level.

Thanks for you time and I look forward to your response

Jason Burman
Computer Eng UnderGrad
University of Wollongong
NSW, Australia