Re: Matcompat's datenum.m weirdness

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: Re: Matcompat's datenum.m weirdness
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:29:59 -0600

I'm not sure what you mean.  I certainly shouldn't have to change my
timezone setting on my system.  Is there a way to do this within
Octave?  If timezone is indeed the reason for this error, (and 7/24, my
GMT offset, _is_ .2916666666...), is there ANY conceivable reason for
this?

This definitely supports my theory that any/all date and time functions
should be written from scratch, and not be dependent on C/C++'s
libraries, which are not intended for science or engineering work.  At
the very least a correction should be made to the current routine for
timezone errors.

-EJR