Re: Linking ATLAS with Octave

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Linking ATLAS with Octave
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:01:31 -0400

   > Compiling Atlas is said to be somewhat tricky.

   It's not tricky, but it will take a long time and it will be very
   optimized for an exact configuration.

   I'd love for a shared, non-optimized version to be available... thus
   we could ship a version working everywhere, and the local sysadmin
   could recompile it for his machines, optimized for them if needed.

Rather than one non-optimized Atlas, I think it'd be better to do what
both Matlab and Dirk/Debian do: provide several libs, appropriate for
major platform choices, with run-time selection of the default one,
overridable by environment/cmdline. My suggestion for the libraries
would be:
        Athlon w/o 3DNow
        PII
        PPro
        PIII
        P4 with SIMD, yeay
        Athlon with 3DNow

I believe that Matlab ships first four cases (I am not sure whether
they use 3DNow in Athlon). I am not sure why they split PII and
PPro---the main difference is cache, IIRC).

I wonder how Debian set up BLAS libs for dynamic linking; I think the
default is a static link. Is that a simple makefile setting, or
a patch?