Re: Windows Octave

From: John Day
Subject: Re: Windows Octave
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:52:33 -0400

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. I think your package is a wonderful idea for those of us who are not equipped to wrestle installation issues with the full Cygwin. (I'm told that GNUPLOT installation is not quite OOTB, yet).

I was mistaken about 'sed' and 'grep'. They are there (along with egrep).

Missing are 'awk' and 'cat', which are used by aload/asave, functions needed to load and save comma-delimited files. (Can I just copy my Elf binaries from Linux to /usr/bin?)

I would be willing to try the full Cygwin install for Octave/GNUPLOT if step-by-step procedures were documented.

Another problem I'm having is 'cut&paste'. How do you select text and copy into the paste buffer? ctrl-insert and ctrl-C don't seem to work. I would also like to be able to print. 'lpr' also seems to be missing.

Please don't interpret my queries as complaints. I think it's wonderful that such a powerful system can be installed so easily and used. Most of my problems are my own ignorance of Unix issues.

Thanks,
John Day