Re: debugging memory leaks

From: John Day
Subject: Re: debugging memory leaks
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:38:47 -0500

"dmalloc" is another freely-available malloc package, by Gray Watson (http://dmalloc.com), which does memory leak and overwrite detection. Works with C or C++. I use it all the time.
-jday
At 03:03 PM 3/30/01 +0200, Christoph Spiel wrote:
Andy:

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 11:44:51PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> Does anyone have some advice to give about
> debugging memory leaks in octave DLD
> functions.

We are using a static code checker which is not
open-sourced (it is pretty good, though).  I am
not aware of any OpenSource static checker
capable of analyzing C++.

> I pretty sure my code has some, and I wondered
> if anyone knew of some good tools to help
> debug this.

For runtime analysis we use (up to) three
different malloc libraries.  Each of them has
particular strengths and weaknesses.  Ah, yes --
sometimes the error's location and even the
error itself changes when linking against
different malloc lib.

ElectricFence
    http://perens.com/FreeSoftware/

ccmalloc

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/biere/projects/ccmalloc/ccmalloc-english.html

mpatrol
    http://www.cbmamiga.demon.co.uk/mpatrol/

All three work with C and C++ sources and are
GPLed.

Best,
        Chris

--