tex documentation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: tex documentation
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:51:20 -0600

On 15-Feb-2001, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| I wonder where the octave latex source of the manual is.
| I looked into the sources of 2.0.31 and didn't find them.
| Is the latex docu also part of the CVS tree?

The source for the manual is in the doc/interpreter directory in the
source distribution (mostly in .txi files).  It is written using
Texinfo, not LaTeX.  The function descriptions in the manual are now
actually part of the source code.  For example, in
src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/svd.cc, you will find:

  DEFUN_DLD (svd, args, nargout,
    "-*- texinfo -*-\n\
  @deftypefn {Loadable Function} address@hidden =} svd (@var{a})\n\
  @deftypefnx {Loadable Function} address@hidden, @var{s}, @var{v}] =} svd
(@var{a})\n\
  @cindex singular value decomposition\n\
  Compute the singular value decomposition of @var{a}\n\
  @iftex\n\
  @tex\n\
  $$\n\
   A = U\\Sigma V^H\n\
  $$\n\

During Octave's build process, these strings are extracted
automatically and stuffed back into the manual in the places that they
are referenced with lines like

  @DOCSTRING(svd)

Then the resulting .texi files can be processed to generate output in
several different formats.

| Can I also submit documentation changes along with
| code/toolbox changes/enhancements?

Of course, yes, you should.

jwe