Re: The future of Octave

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: 10 Dec 2000 05:58:08 -0500

Hello,

Lynn Winebarger <address@hidden> writes:

>     Wouldn't it be better to go to a virtual machine + general optimizing
> phase compiler core + multiple frontends model?  These other languages are
> nice and all, but how well do they support numerical computation?  And how
> much cruft would be generated (if you choose Scheme, I would think you're
> most of the core code (what's written in C++) would still be in C++ or C,
> but with a load of Guile hooks in them.  Is that going to improve the
> developer situation or worsen it?

I am a Guile developer who is working on a Guile virtual machine.
So far Guile has been concerned in translating various languages
into Scheme, but I personally think having multiple frontends or
translating into a lower level intermediate language would be better.
I am now designing a new core language and going to spend the next
few years working on this.

Just FYI.

Thanks,
Keisuke Nishida