Help on Compilation of Octave

From: Arthur W. Green
Subject: Help on Compilation of Octave
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 15:29:38 -0400

Hello all,
I apologize for my question, which is no doubt riddled with ignorance, and
hope that someone wouldn't mind taking some of their precious time to aid me
with my problem.

Essentially, I don't normally use Unix for my work, but recently I was asked
to compile Octave on a colleague's machine. While, I am moderately familiar
with simple Unix functions and can set up and configure most aspects of the
machine, I am not much of a programmer and am not entirely familiar with the
Make utility.

I received the quoted text below upon the initial 'make all' that should be
go about compiling the program:

> make -f octMakefile all
> "./Makeconf", line 70: Missing dependency operator
> "./Makeconf", line 72: Need an operator
> "./Makeconf", line 74: Need an operator
> "./Makeconf", line 75: Missing dependency operator
> "./Makeconf", line 78: Need an operator
> "./Makeconf", line 83: Need an operator
> "./Makeconf", line 305: Need an operator
> "./Makeconf", line 306: Need an operator
> "./Makeconf", line 307: Need an operator
> "./Makeconf", line 309: Need an operator
> Error expanding embedded variable.
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.