installing octave on pc

From: Bas Kooijman
Subject: installing octave on pc
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:58:00 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear LS,

I tried to install octave under emacs on a pc
The emacs support for preparing *.m files works well,
 but the system cannot find octave after M-x run-octave
A path to C:/bin/sh.exe causes an emacs-freeze
I tried
  emacs 20.4.1, i386-*-windows95.1212
  ocatave-2.0.13-i386-pc-cygwin32
  Cygnus B19
Octave does run in a ms-dos window95 under bash
  but I want to run it under emacs
We have no problems with running Octave under Unix on our Sun-system

Another question:
Do I understand correctly that Octave does not support multi-dimensional
arrays?I am used to work with APL, so that this hurts a lot.

Many thanks your efforts

Bas Kooijman
Prof. Dr. S. A. L. M. Kooijman
Dept Theor Biology, Vrije Universiteit