applying a patch for octave-2.1.30?

From: Gerald Marewo
Subject: applying a patch for octave-2.1.30?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:52:57 +0200

hi all.

i have just succeded installing octave-2.1.30 on :

        Linux aardvark 2.0.34 #67 Thu Jun 18 17:04:10 MEST 1998 i686 unknown

the only problem is the irritating output of the commands:

        clc, and home

for clearing the screen. i asked the same question some time ago
and i got a patch. our system administrator applied the patch
successfully, i am not sure how though. unfortunately, he is no
longer around and so i am now effectively in charge since the new
system administrator is a novice. he has the position by authority;
he is a lecturer and i am a postgraduate student.

to apply the patch i did the following:

        cd ~j/root/octave/octave-2.1.30/src
        patch sysdep.cc ~gerald/usr/local/archive/patchfile

then i did the re-installation as follows:

        ./configure
        make
        make install

without removing the config.cache file. when i tried running octave
after the installation i was getting the same irritating output.

even after removing the config.cache file it is the same.

b.t.w. the output of the patch command is as follows

   Hmm...  Looks like a new-style context diff to me...
   The text leading up to this was:
   --------------------------
   |       * sysdep.cc (Fclc): Call _rl_clear_screen instead of
   rl_clear_screen.

   |*** src/sysdep.cc~     Thu Oct 21 02:04:08 1999
   |--- src/sysdep.cc      Sat May 20 02:02:25 2000
   --------------------------
   Patching file sysdep.cc using Plan A...
   Hunk #1 failed at 388.
   1 out of 1 hunks failed--saving rejects to sysdep.cc.rej
   Hmm...  Ignoring the trailing garbage.
   done

i am not sure if i am missing something in applying the patch.

our version of patch is:

        Patch version 2.1

any form of help would greatly appreciated.

--
Gerald Marewo address@hidden
FAQ "Using your realname on the Internet - Pros and Cons":