mysterious files

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: mysterious files
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:20:50 +0100 (BST)

 > while running octave for some extensive calculations, which also invoke
 > shell scripts and read data from files, octave writes some mysterious
 > files to the directory /var/tmp.

 > Does anybody know where this comes from and how it is able to surpress
 > this behaviour?

Hi, I think they are generated by plot() commands so that replot() will work.
e.g. if you do:

octave:1> x = rand(5,1);
octave:2> plot(x)

and then compare the contents of the newest oct- file created in /tmp
with the value of x, you will see they match.

you can delete these files by doing

purge_tmp_files

Stephen