Re: QUERY: what is status/recommendations for Octave + ATLAS compilation

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: QUERY: what is status/recommendations for Octave + ATLAS compilation
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 01:35:45 +0000

David Doolin wrote:

> []
>

> >I just don't think that this is something that Octave should worry
> >about--leave it up to the user, and the ATLAS/LAPACK developers, to figure
> >out how to build the fastest libraries.  Octave should just provide the
> >option of linking with the fastest/latest libraries if the user provides
> >them.
>
> If jwe has a wild hair to build ATLAS with octave, why stand in his way?

I spent hours to compile ATLAS. I don't want to do it again on every
Octave release! (mainly if ATLAS is not likely to change very often)

> >Steven
> >
> >PS. I think you'd be surprised at how many people won't mind downloading
> >and installing a couple of other libraries first.  Also, using optional
> []
> All system admin is overhead for me.

That's why is easier for you to download/configure/make ATLAS once, and
download/configure --enable-atlas/make octave often, instead of letting
John Eaton to figure out how to do it on *your* system (there is more
world out there than just linux)

Joao