problem with system

From: Martin Buenner
Subject: problem with system
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:38:15 +0100

Dear octave users and developpers,

inside octave I need to start a shell-script and to control its exit
code. Currently, I am using 'system()' similar to

  [out,stat]=system('program');
  if stat,error('theres a problem');endif

Unfortunately, from time to time 'stat' is not zero even if the script
has exited correctly.

If I run the following code i.e. for testing

  N=0;for i=1:1000,[out,stat]=system('ls');if stat,N++,endif;endfor

the result will be N=(80-100).

What's the problem?

Best regards, Martin

* Dr. Martin J. Buenner                                         *
* EPCOS AG                                                      *
* Surface Acoustic Wave Components                              *
* OFW E NT                                                      *
* Anzinger Str. 13             Phone: ++49 89 636 26182         *
* D-81617 Munich               Fax:   ++49 89 636 27304         *
* Germany                      E-mail: address@hidden *