Re: gshow key

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: gshow key
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:33:18 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, John W. Eaton wrote:

> FWIW, I don't think the solution is to connect gnuplot and Octave
> using a two-way pipe, because then we would have to rely on being able
> to parse the output to get the information we want.  That seems too
> unreliable to me (the information displayed is likely to change as
> gnuplot changes).

I agree with John. The right fix is to get the gnuplot folks to apply
some basic software engineering principles to the code (read: clean
up the damned mess!), and then allow stdin/stdout/stderr when running
in "console/batch" mode.

One thing we could do is try to read the output to the GUI console
after each command sent via the wrapper and read upto the next prompt.
I don't know anything about "spying" on sibling windows, so this may
be just wishful thinking.

Regards,
Mumit