Re: Considerations

From: A+A Adler
Subject: Re: Considerations
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:46:35 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Emanuele Olivetti wrote:
> I'd like to promote a way to make Octave grow, using all the codes
> produced by Octave users. I make my own routine and some of
> them are good, so why not share it with every body? I can
> post my little work, but it is difficult to search it in
> future browsing Octave archives. In Mathworks site they
> have 'The Mathworks Download', a repository for m-files
> made by users, that offer their free contribution to a
> COMMERCIAL firm. I think that Octave can do the same
> excluding all commercial aspects, in a simple way making
> a browsable tree by category (and serchable index) of
> all routines made bye users like me.

I was also thinking this would be a good idea.
Basically a COAN (as a take off from Perl's CPAN).

Does anyone know if it would be easy to take the CPAN structure
and modify it to be useful for octave?

Of course, it does mean 1) that someone has to maintain it.
                        2) that web space needs to be provided

On a similar note, has anyone thought about whether the
octave.org domain name has been taken? It sure would be
nice to have that one for octave!

Andy Adler,                               address@hidden