Re: MacOctave?

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: MacOctave?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:34:25 -0600

> on 11/12/99 9:12 AM, Mark Muldoon at address@hidden wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a Mac-porting effort out there? Could I join it?
>
> -Mark

The current options of Octave on a Mac are
- MachTen Unix (www.tenon.com), which I'm using
- Linux on a Mac (haven't heard any reports on this yet, you may want to
check newsgroup
 comp.os.linux.powerpc)

Direct ports to MacOS are unknown to me, and would likely require a lot of
effort, since Octave
depends heavily on the gcc/g++ compiler and (in its pristine form) on
gnuplot for plotting.  I don't know how CodeWarrior, etc., would handle that
kind of development.

I'm curious about the impact of MacOS X when it comes out (due in mid-2000),
since it's supposed to be a very unix-like environment.  Since MATLAB no
longer supports Mac platforms :-(, the choices for numerical software on the
Mac platform are either Mathematica or Octave.  With luck (and a bit of
conditional compilation code), Octave may be directly compilable under MacOS
X.

--
A S Hodel Assoc. Prof. Dept Elect and Computer Eng, Auburn Univ,AL
36849-5201