Re: problem compiling octave on Solaris

From: Johan Kullstam
Subject: Re: problem compiling octave on Solaris
Date: 23 Sep 1999 07:40:32 -0400

Mike Miller <address@hidden> writes:

> I was just trying to run configure with the 2.0.14 sources on a Sun sparc
> with Solaris 2.6.  Here's what it didn't like:
>

> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
> cannot create executables.
>

> I had renamed c++ so that configure would find g++.  I don't think there's
> anything wrong with g++, but maybe it can't find a library.  Here's what
> the configure.log shows:

can you compile and run a `hello world' program with this C++
compiler?

perhaps you should try the gnu compiler.

<URL:ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/>

get gcc-2.95.1 and bootstrap a new C compiler off the system C
compiler.  generate a working C++ compiler during the process.   use
the --prefix= option to put the compiler where you want/can when
installing.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
address@hidden