using Octave under XEmacs

From: Stephen Eglen
Subject: using Octave under XEmacs
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:35:58 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking at seeing what changes (if any) need to be made to get
Octave running under XEmacs.  The goal is to update the emacs lisp
files so that they can run under Emacs 19, Emacs 20 and XEmacs 20+.

I've checked the archives of this mail group, and found a couple of
problems running XEmacs.  (In general, the byte compile errors
shouldn't be a problem.)

From
http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/mailing-lists/help-octave/1999/554:

> When I use the configuration shown above I get the following message
> when I type M-x octave-mod:

> Signaling: (error "Unknown keyword octave-auto-indent")
>  signal(error ("Unknown keyword octave-auto-indent"))

This is a problem with XEmacs 20.4 not understanding the :version
keyword.  This is easily fixed by deleting the text
from the declaration of octave-auto-indent.

  :version "20.3"

However, in another mesasge:

> I use xemacs-20.0-b29 and it sort of works.  I have no problem
> running octave but the auto indent feature of octave mode seems to
> be broken.  It works fine for lines that begin with for, if, while
> etc but it chokes on endfor, endif, etc.  The message it gives is

> Invalid function: (macro . #<compiled-function (from "replace.elc")
>  (n &optional string) "...(41)"

I've not yet seen this problem (maybe because this error came from an
early version of XEmacs 20?), so if anyone still gets this on later
versions of XEmacs, please let me know and I'll investigate.

Please also send any other known problems with the lisp files.

Cheers, Stephen