argv() problem with Octave 2.1.14

From: Wonkoo Kim
Subject: argv() problem with Octave 2.1.14
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:46:58 -0400

Klaus Gebhardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  > Do you mean that I should have recompiled my *.oct files with
>  > emx 0.9c when I installed Octave 2.1.14?
>
> Yes, that's necessary. You must recompile your .oct files whenever you
> install  a new version of Octave. (Sometimes you must even modify the
> source!). You  should use the same version of the compiler used for
> building Octave (Normally  a newer version should work, but this time i
> have problems with emx-0.9d and  Octave).

Hi.
This weekend I reinstalled Octave 2.1.14 and recompiled my .oct
files with emx 0.9c.  It appeared that I had the previous problem
because I didn't recompiled my .oct files with new oct libs.
My .oct files work well with Octave 2.1.14 now.

However, I have a new problem with argv().

I created test.m file that has a line:

 datafile = sprintf ("%s", argv(1,:))

and run "octave.exe test.m foo".
Then I get the following error messages:

error: lists may only be indexed by a single scalar
error: evaluating argument list element number 2
error: evaluating index expression near line 1, column 12
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 1, column 10

I run my .m file on OS/2 command line (via .cmd) for for batch jobs.
e.g., octave.exe foo.m datafilename bar
This worked with Octave 2.0.13, and I could set the variable
'datafile' with the string I passed on OS/2 command line.
This does not work with Octave 2.1.14.  What's wrong?

I tried argv(1) without success.  Is it a documented problem?
This seems to be the only problem with Octave 2.1.14.
As other things seem to work well, I'd like to use 2.1.14.
Is there a work-around for the argv() problem?
(I CC'd to Octave help list, because it may not be an OS/2 port
specific problem.)

Thank you very much.

// Wonkoo Kim <address@hidden> ('+' may be dropped in my addr.)