Emacs Octave mode

From: Daniel Friedman
Subject: Emacs Octave mode
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:46:44 -0400 (EDT)

I would like to know how to change two things in the Emacs Octave mode.
I posted a question to comp.emacs but have received no
response--perhaps my questions are a bit esoteric for that
newsgroup--hence I turn here.

I'm running Emacs version 20.3.1., and I'd like to achieve some small
customizations by changing my .emacs, not by changing system-wide files.

1) In octave-mode, the hash mark (#) is used to start a comment.  I want
to change this to the percent symbol (%), yet still have the indentation
and fontification work asbefore.  I tried putting
    (setq octave-mode hook
        '( lambda () (setq octave-comment-char ?%) ))
in my .emacs but this didn't do the trick.

2) How can I change the indentation so that, for example, "endif" is
indented the same amount as "if"?  Yet, not cause all functions to be
indented ?

Many thanks,
--dan

 Daniel Friedman    address@hidden    http://www.isr.umd.edu/~danielf