Problem running octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Problem running octave
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:47:08 -0600 (CST)

On 20-Nov-1998, Vitaliy A Repin <address@hidden> wrote:

| I've installed octave 2.0.13 from binary distribution (RPM).
| All was Ok during installation procedure.  But when I try
| to run octave it writes the following:
|
| error: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
| error: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
| Aborted (core dumped)
|
| What's the problem?  And how can I solve it?
| All suggestions are welcome.
|
| May be the following information will be useful:
| libc: glibc-2.0.5c-10
| libg++: libg++-2.7.2.8-6
| ld.so: ld.so-1.9.5-5
|
| linux kernel 2.0.32 (RedHat 5.0 distribution)

The Linux libc and libstdc++ share the same I/O library code.  In my
experience, if Octave crashes immediately like this on a Linux system,
the problem is almost always due to incompatible versions of those
libraries.  It may be that your libc isn't compatible with your
libstdc++, or it may be that the libraries for which Octave was
compiled is not compatible with the ones on your system.

Perhaps you should complain RedHat or to the person who built the RPM
file that you are using.

jwe