Re: newbie questions

From: lash
Subject: Re: newbie questions
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:30:06 -0600 (CST)

> Salutations all,
>
> I am new to this list and to Octave, so forgive me if the topics have been
> addressed before.
>
> Congratulations to John Eaton et al. for what looks like an excellent piece of
> software, free moreover, which seems to be to scientific software what Linux
> is to OSes.
>
> Before going through the nightmarish installation procedure described in:
>
> ftp://ftp.che.wisc.edu/pub/octave/BINARIES/gnu-win32/README.gnu-win32-install
>
> i would just like to ask a few hopeful questions :
>
> 1) Is there any chance that an automatic installer for Win* is going to be
> released in a few days (one can dream, can't one ? :)
> 2) Is there really *no* version of Octave for MacOS, my preferred platform ?

Another package that has similar capabilites, with somewhat different syntax
is RLaB.  There is a Mac version of it that is available at:

http://www.isec.com/yang/mac-rlab.html

I have used older verions of RLaB, and it is pretty good.  I actually did a
lot of work in it while persuing my Master's degree.  In many ways I like
it's syntax better than that of Octave and Matlab (I learned RLaB first, so
this may have a lot to do with it).  If you are going to try to port Matlab
.m files, it is much easier in Octave than in RLaB (they usually just work in
Octave).  I think that Octave has a more active development an support
network.

> 3) I never installed Linux but this might be the occasion to do it. Has
> anybody compiled Octave for some flavor of Linux running on Power Macs ? Or is
> there a simple procedure (simple for a non-unixian I mean) to compile it ?

I have installed Octave from the source distribution on intel Linux and
Sun Solaris, and it is usually as easy as typing:

        ./configure
        make
        make install

You will definitely want to read the INSTALL and README.* files to find
out about any options that you may want to enable.

Good Luck,

Bill Lash
address@hidden