Re[2]: MATLAB COMPATIBILITY

From: PETER HOPFGARTNER
Subject: Re[2]: MATLAB COMPATIBILITY
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 98 11:08:15 +0100

     I think that before starting any discussion on MESA, the list should
     decide

     1) on the toolkit to use (if Windows portability is of any concern,
     wxWindows may be well suited, if not GTK (http://www.gimp.org) seems
     to become the shooting star, as it is strongly enforced by debian and
     Red Hat, Motif is even viable, as a free replacement exists
     (http://www.lesstif.org), KDE put octave in it's todo list for
     adapting to the KDE desktop environment (http://www.kde.org)).

     2) how to handle graphics: (continue to use gnuplot, using GNU
     plotutils for 2D and Mesa for 3D, writing a new graphics handling)

     As far as I have the time (I have a full time job) I would like to
     participate in the graphics handling, since Octave is one of the
     packages I use most and I like most.

                                        Peter