Re: MATLAB COMPATIBILITY

From: Mario Storti
Subject: Re: MATLAB COMPATIBILITY
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:14:08 -0300

> On 19-Jan-1998, Francis Benyah <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Please, I would like to know if there is an equivalent OCTAVE function
> | for each of the following MATLAB functions:
> |
> | 1.  FULL  [full.m]
> | 2.  SPARSE [sparse.m]
>
> Octave doesn't provide a sparse matrix data type (yet).  If anyone is
> interested in working on adding support for sparse matrices, please
> contact me.

I'm also highly interested in sparse matrix support since I work in
the area of finite elements.  There are several sparse packages in
Fortran but recently I met one that is in C++: meschach from David
E. Steward & Zbigniew Leyk from Australia. I don't know about the
legal part. This is the copyright,

/**************************************************************************
**
** Copyright (C) 1993 David E. Steward & Zbigniew Leyk, all rights reserved.
**
**                           Meschach Library
**
** This Meschach Library is provided "as is" without any express
** or implied warranty of any kind with respect to this software.
** In particular the authors shall not be liable for any direct,
** indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages arising
** in any way from use of the software.
**
** Everyone is granted permission to copy, modify and redistribute this
** Meschach Library, provided:
**  1.  All copies contain this copyright notice.
**  2.  All modified copies shall carry a notice stating who
**      made the last modification and the date of such modification.
**  3.  No charge is made for this software or works derived from it.
**      This clause shall not be construed as constraining other software
**      distributed on the same medium as this software, nor is a
**      distribution fee considered a charge.
**
***************************************************************************/

BTW, are there any projects around of writing an interface to the Mesa
graphics library? Right now, I wrote a small program to see surfaces
and plot streamlines (fluid mechanics), but I simply write from octave
a data file, and after I read this from the small C program. I wonder
if someone has made somegthing better. Mesa is GPL.

Cheers,

Mario

Mario Alberto Storti                           | Fax: (54)(42) 55.09.44 |
Grupo de Tecnologia Mecanica                   | Tel: (54)(42) 55.91.75 |
INTEC, Guemes 3450 - 3000 Santa Fe, Argentina                           |
Reply: address@hidden, http://venus.unl.edu.ar/gtm-eng.html |