Re: strings

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: strings
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:15:02 -0600

This is correct; they are automatically converted to the ascii code
numbers.  (A couple of years ago, we couldn't even do that.)

It's inconvenient, but what must be done currently when manipulating strings
is to use the setstr function.  For example, the following code prints
a 2D string matrix:

  for ii=1:rows(lmat)
    disp( setstr(lmat(ii,:)) )
  endfor

>In octave, I can't seem to define 2-D string arrays.
>I also cannot do simple subscripting. For example:
>str=["abc";"def"]
>s1=str(1:2)
>Can anyone help.
>Also do the equivalent of MEX files exist for octave?

I think John (Eaton) told me this was doable, but I haven't done it yet.

A S Hodel Dept Elect Eng. 200 Broun Hall Auburn University (334) 844-1854
address@hidden  http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/scotte  Fax: -1809