Re: history-search-backward

From: John Eaton
Subject: Re: history-search-backward
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:26:01 -0500

Jim Van Zandt <address@hidden> wrote:

: I can already use ^R to start an incremental search backwards.

Yes, but the other search is different.  Instead of typing C-r and
then doing an incremental search, you type a few characters first and
then type M-p to find the first entry in the history list that begins
with those characters.

: I don't see offhand how to do incremental searches forwards.  (The
: emacs command is ^S, which octave (really readline) interprets as a
: flow control command.)

Readline doesn't interpret this as a flow control command.  If your
terminal is interpreting it as a flow control command, you need to
turn it off.  Check out your terminal settings with stty.  I suppose
Octave could try to do this for you (I believe that Emacs does this
sort of thing).

Of course, forward searching the history list probably isn't too
important.

Thanks,

jwe