Re: Alpha GCC for compiling Octave

From: niles
Subject: Re: Alpha GCC for compiling Octave
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 95 16:55:26 -0400

>   What GCC do I need to compile Octave on a DEC Alpha? We gave 2.6.3,
>but I recall something about a higher version needed. Unfortunately,
>our sys admin claims that 2.7.0 is a beta version and so refuses to
>install it. Whats the truth?

Octave 1.1.1 should be compiled with GCC 2.6.3. John Eaton issued
a statement saying that GCC 2.7.0 will not work with the current
Octave and people shouldn't use it to compile Octave.

However, GCC 2.7.0 is NOT a beta version in any way!  I've been using
it since it's release.  I've only found one bug which was in the
optimizer and was probably in 2.6.3 as well.  You can have mult.
versions of gcc running if your not sure about the new version.  One
controls which version is used with the "-V" directive.

e.g. "gcc -V 2.6.3 foo.c" will compile with version 2.6.3 of gcc even
if your running version 2.7.x, provided you don't delete the 2.6.3
stuff.

        Rick Niles.