Interleaving and Diary Questions

From: John Eaton
Subject: Interleaving and Diary Questions
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 23:00:39 -0500

Martin Senator <address@hidden> wrote:

: 1)    I can debug most errors simply and quickly if I can see my commands
: interleaved with octave's responses.   My problem is that I like to reuse all
: (edited) commands after fixing each error.  So, I put the commands
: in a command file and run it.  When I do, I cannot get interleaved output.

This may not be exactly what you want, but it may help.  If you are
putting all of your commands in a file to execute, you can do this,

  octave --echo-commands script-file

and Octave will print each command as it is executed, followed by the
output that is produced.  The commands are preceded by the value of
the built-in variable PS4 (the default is "+ ").  If you would prefer
some other string prefix, you can change the value of PS4 at the top
of your script.

(This is somewhat like running `/bin/sh -xv'.)

Version 1.1.1 does not have a way to turn command echoing on or off
once Octave is started.  That should probably change for 1.2...

: 2)    The problem here is that I can't get 'diary' to work when the
: subsequent commands come from a command file.

This is also the way Matlab appears to work.

jwe