Re: octave 1.1 on SunOS 4.1.3

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: octave 1.1 on SunOS 4.1.3
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 07:47:44 CST

#
#: I had written earlier about the problems of compiling octave 1.1
#:on SunOS 4.1.3 with gcc-2.6.0 and Sun F77 2.0.1.
#
#**********************************************************
#*                                                        *
#*  To compile Octave, you will need a recent version of  *
#*  GNU Make.                                             *
#*                                                        *
#*  You will also need g++ version 2.6.3 or later, and    *
#*  libg++ version 2.6.1 or later.                        *
#*                                                        *
#*  Now would be a good time to read INSTALL.OCTAVE if    *
#*  you have not done so already.                         *
#*                                                        *
#**********************************************************
#
#
#In other words, you NEED TO UPDATE your gcc to 2.6.3!!!
#

  Yes. I noticed that yesterday when I looked into the details. But
I had noticed earlier somewhere else in the docs that one needs 2.6.0
and up, so I thought I will give it a try with 2.6.0. Anyway, I will
try to upgrade gcc as soon as possible. But as I mentioned in my blurb,
the problem does not seem much to do with gcc, but link editing. I was
getting missing symbol (__lib_version) which I think is used by
Sun compiler. So it is much to do with what all objects have to be linked
to resolve all the symbols rather that which compiler I chose.

  By the way, yesterday night I was able to install octave with
gcc-2.6.0 and Sun F77-2.0.1 with my fix of including Sun compiler
object version-Xs.o from the library directory of Sun compiler.
Only problem was that I could not used dld library and lite-kernel option.
So now I have a 3mb+ binary :-( But octave seems to be working fine.

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt
 * graduate student, ultrasound research