adding functions to the kernel

From: Friedrich Leisch
Subject: adding functions to the kernel
Date: Wed, 19 May 1993 10:34:19 +0200

Dear Sirs,

As we are part of the Dept. of Statistics and Probability Theory, you
can imagine how often functions as mean, std or cov are used by us.
Unfortunately this functions are m-files and therefore VERY slow
(compared with sum and sumsq). We do a lot of work on simulations
repeating the same procedures over and over again.

We wou8ld like to add some standard statistic functions and some of our
simulation procedures to the kernel to speed the whole thing up. I
would like to know if you have got some kind of "manual" or "notes" for adding
functions to the kernel (especially which source files have to be
changed and which changes are necessary).

with best regards

Friedrich Leisch
University of Technology
Vienna, Austria