help-nano

[Help-nano] Some chars like emojis shown blank

From: Andreas Schamanek
Subject: [Help-nano] Some chars like emojis shown blank
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 17:14:19 +0200 (CEST)

Dear fellow Nano editers,

I was wondering why some characters like many emojis (I very much
dislike them but unfortunately I am receiving them more often) are
shown as blanks in Nano (I am using a self-compiled 2.8.7 on a Debian
8.9 server) whereas they show up fine in VIM or doing a `cat` (as long
as my fonts support them).

Here are some examples (inserted using VIM)

☺ Smiling Face (I can see this one in Nano)
🙂 Slightly Smiling Face
🤗 Hugging Face
🤔 Thinking Face
😐 Neutral Face

☝ Index Pointing Up (I can see this one in Nano)
👆 Backhand Index Pointing Up
🖕 Middle Finger
👇 Backhand Index Pointing Down
✌ Victory Hand (I can see this one in Nano)
🖖 Vulcan Salute
🤘 Sign of the Horns
🖐 Raised Hand With Fingers Splayed
✋ Raised Hand