help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] UTF-8 support was requested, but insufficient UTF-8 supp

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] UTF-8 support was requested, but insufficient UTF-8 support was detected
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 22:02:34 +0100

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017, at 21:17, Leonhard Küper wrote:
> Oh damn, you are right and I got a bit over exited.
> I realized that the "soft wraps" were actually hard line breaks.

There is a patch that makes softwrap wrap lines only between
words, but it is against git and won't appear in nano before
version 2.8.1 or 2.8.2 -- if at all.  See:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2017-03/msg00074.html

> My .nanorc is:
> set const
> set softwrap
> set tabsize 4
> set tabstospaces

If I were you, I would unset softwrap and just let nano
break long lines with hard line breaks.  If later you want
to export your texts to some other program, you could do
'nano --fill=999999 --auto yourfile' and then type Meta-J
to "rejustify" every paragraph into a single long line.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free