help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Compiling nano on Slackware 9.0

From: higuita
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Compiling nano on Slackware 9.0
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:41:36 +0100

Hi

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:49:30 +0200, <address@hidden> wrote:
> Unfortunately, running configure, I get an error and cannot figure out
> what it does actually mean (kind of Linux newbie). Probably, there is
> something missing on my system (I didn't install all development
> packages for instance due to limited space on the harddisk but all
> packages marked necessary)

        i have also a slackware 9 installed and tried to update my old
        nano 1.0.? to the lastest version and it builds without any
        problem

        here is my log for this part:

Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.2
configure:2033: $? = 0
configure:2035: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
gcc: argument to `-V' is missing
configure:2038: $? = 1
configure:2062: checking for C compiler default output
configure:2065: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
configure:2068: $? = 0
configure:2114: result: a.out

> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.2.2
> configure:2033: $? = 0
> configure:2035: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
> gcc: argument to `-V' is missing
> configure:2038: $? = 1
> configure:2062: checking for C compiler default output
> configure:2065: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/3.2.2/../../../../i386-slackware-
linux/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

        so it cant find crt1.o? that is why its failing...

 $ fgrep crt1.o /var/log/packages/*
/var/log/packages/glibc-2.3.1-i386-3:usr/lib/crt1.o

        so looks like you are missing glibc?!?!
        and you are _running_ slackware?!
        now that is a wierd thing!! 8)

        did you deleted some files to try to save space?
        did you boot the machine once, so the ldconfig on the
        boot scripts could run and update the library cache?

> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }

        if the above tips failled, do this:

        try to copy this to a file and compile it with "gcc file.c"
        it should fail (as failled here)
        the run the same thing with a "strace -efile gcc file.c"

        try to see if this way tells you why is failing

--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a